Hello and welcome to today’s blog post, which is a semi-quick, but easy, birthday card featuring the (now retired) Snowflake Specialty Vellum Paper, the Charming Sentiments Bundle, and the 2022-2024 In Colors! Now that the 2023 January – April Mini Catalog is live and I am (im)patiently awaiting my order, I thought I would show you a fun card to make now that Christmas is in the rearview mirror! Birthday cards are a staple in my card making, so I thought this would be a great way to show you an alternative way to use the iridescent dot design from the Snowflake Specialty Vellum. Since I used the 2022-2024 In Colors, this was a great way to combine colors for masculine or feminine cards and use up one sheet of the vellum paper. Even though there are 5 In Colors, the sixth card I made used Thick Basic White cardstock with a couple designs from the 2022-2024 In Color 6” x 6” DSP!
The base layer for the card front is this iridescent dot design from the Snowflake Specialty Vellum, which I first cut a 1 ½” x 12” strip off one side and then cut the rest of the sheet into six 4” x 5 ¼” pieces:
For the rest of the card front for each card, you will need:
1. Use the second largest circle from the Stylish Shapes Dies to die-cut one each from Sweet Sorbet, Parakeet Party, Tahitian Tide, Orchid Oasis, and Starry Sky cardstocks and then randomly stamp the sentiment in the same color ink as the cardstock (tone on tone). *For the card tutorial, I am using Tahitian Tide for the die-cut circle and card base.
2. Using the Balloon Bouquet (R) punch, punch out the small balloon from the 1 ½” x 12” strip of vellum and you will need two for each card. Note-I was only able to get 11 of these, so my Basic White card will show you how I improvised.
3. Using the Balloon Bouquet punch again, punch out of Sweet Sorbet, Parakeet Party, Tahitian Tide, Orchid Oasis, and Starry Sky cardstocks, so you will have one large and one small of each color, and then emboss with the Hive 3D Embossing Folder. Note-For reference, the large balloon is the same color as the die-cut circle and card base and I choose another color for the small balloon, this card it is Tahitian Tide for the large and Parakeet Party for the small balloons.
4. You will need to cut four 2” – 3” pieces from the coordinating 2022-2024 In Color Baker’s Twine for each card (one for each balloon), this card uses Tahitian Tide.
5. On Basic White cardstock, stamp the sentiment in the same color as the card base, this card uses Tahitian Tide, and use the coordinating Sentiment Silhouette die to die-cut out.
To assemble each card, use glue dots to adhere the baker’s twine to the back of each balloon, adhere the large, embossed balloon to the top of the die-cut circle, adhere the two vellum balloons to the sides of the large balloon, and use a dimensional to adhere the small, embossed balloon in the middle. I adhered this piece to the middle of the vellum base layer, placed adhesive on the back of the vellum behind the die-cut circle and balloon to adhere to the Tahitian Tide cardstock card base, cut at 4 ¼” x 11” and scored at 5 ½”. Use mini dimensionals on the ends of the die-cut sentiment to adhere over the baker’s twine and trim off any excess ends off the baker’s twine:
For the inside, cut a piece of Basic White cardstock at 4” x 5 ¼” and stamp the sentiment in the same In Color used for the card base, this card used Tahitian Tide:
For the coordinating Basic White Medium Envelope, I stamped the sentiment three times in the corner using the same In Color, this envelope used Tahitian Tide:
For the other four cards, I paired Tahitian Tide with Orchid Oasis cardstock, baker’s twine and ink, Starry Sky with Parakeet Party cardstock, baker’s twine, and ink, Orchid Oasis with Sweet Sorbet cardstock, baker’s twine, and ink, and Sweet Sorbet with Starry Sky cardstock, baker’s twine, and ink. For the sixth card, I used a Thick Basic White cardstock card base, punched a large balloon in Tahitian Tide cardstock and embossed, used the last vellum balloon, punched one each of the small balloon from Starry Sky and Parakeet Party 6” x 6” DSP, heat embossed the sentiment on Starry Sky cardstock with White Embossing Powder, used white baker’s twine for the balloons, and used Starry Sky ink for the Basic White die-cut circle, inside sentiment, and coordinating envelope:
What a fun alternative way to use this design from the Snowflake Vellum Specialty Paper! You could really use this design for a variety of cards, but I thought the iridescent dots were perfect for birthday cards. Don’t have this vellum paper? You can easily substitute regular vellum cardstock and heat emboss a design or dry emboss with an embossing folder!
Live in the USA? I would love to be your demonstrator! Contact me today to learn more about purchasing Stampin’ Up! products, hosting a party, joining my team or if you would like a complimentary catalog!
You can head over to my online store by clicking the Shop Now! button at the very top to see all available products.
I hope today’s project inspires you to get creative! Please contact me if you have any questions about the products used on this or any other project. I hope you enjoyed today’s blog and thanks for stopping by!